Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Heidi Lawn

Ireland is called the “Emerald Isle” for a reason: it is, as they say, fifty shades of green. Coming from the desert, greenery is always amazing to me; everything is greener (and more humid!) compared to El Paso. As much as I have traveled, it amazes me simply when there are more than three trees in a row. However, in all my travels there has never been anywhere as breathtaking as Ireland. It seems to me, then, that Heidi Lawn is the perfect place to hold meetings for the Gaelic Cultural Society.


Heidi Lawn is green, grassy, and of course, outside. In fair weather it is perfect homage to Eire. In foul weather, the Heidi patio must suffice, marked by a giant inflatable leprechaun. Either way, the Gaelic Cultural Society staff always manages to bring up topics that lead the mind to Ireland. They are adept at making the meetings worth attending and I have no doubt there meeting place was picked with a specific purpose in mind. Rest assured that any meeting with the Gaelic Cultural Society will be worth going to – there is no unnecessary information and there is always a purpose. I find that their organization lends a deal of quality to the club, making it doubly enjoyable for me.


It is of note that the Highland Games will be coming up this Saturday. This was the topic of the most recent meeting. I will attend, of course, and I will be sure to report on it in a later blog.

Photo: Heidi Lawn


Irish fact of the day: In Irish, craic (pronounced “crack”), means fun. Thus, when something is “Good craic!” it was a lot of fun. A party can also be advertised as having “craic agus ceol,” or fun and music.

No comments:

Post a Comment